Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Main to Boston, sort of ... 25th Oct

The drive out of Maine was great - lakes, fall colours ... and I got to see a Moose too!

Over a leisurely lunch in Portland in the afternoon I made my mind up to stay in Boston that night. However I forgot to charge my cell phone the night before and I simply cannot make the public phones work here. So I decided to wing it & turn up at the Boston Hostel.

Dipped my toes in the Atlantic on the way at dusk on the beautiful Maine south coast - Kenebunkport was the place to be precise. There were heaps of outlet stores on the way too, but I didn't have time for those as it was getting dark.

Now the nightmare began - arriving in Boston at night is a cool sight, however it's a bloody nightmare to negotiate on the roads.My map to the hostel was vague at best and when I finally got there (45 mins of traffic negotiation) the last bed had just gone. They got me into another place, but the directions to it sounded alot like what I'd just been through - a busy, pot holed, non existant street signed, road under constructioned, random one way street nightmare. So I though f*** that, & shot off on the interstate out of Boston. It was 10.30pm. Half way to NYC, in the middle of nowhere, Conneticut cheap motel here I come! I crashed (in bed, not my van) at 12.45am.

No comments: