Wednesday, November 01, 2006

To NYC !!! 26th Oct

If my driving experience in Boston was a nightmare, what was the drive to Manhatten to be? Supposedly Dayville Conneticut (where my Motel was) to NYC would be about 3-4 hours. I planned my route meticulously over several pounds of bacon, sausage, eggs & pancakes in a waffle house down the line. The weather was perfect and the drive was great. It was exciting to make my way through the Bronx & down into Manhatten - traffic was fairly heavy, but it was relatively easy - Manhatten being a grid. The only hiccup being where you encounter a one way street. All up it took about 3 & a half hours.

I'd treated myself to 2 nights at the Gershwin Hotel in Midtown, but for tonight I was to be in the largest Hostel International in the world - on 103rd St uptown Manhatten. The luxury had to wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Darryl,

Mike here. I enjoyed reading your blog, though I'm surprised to see that after an initial burst of enthusiasm from supporters you've had a drought of comments. I think your most interesting report may have been the one about Jerry Springer. I have an idea it was Jerry Springer (or someone like him) who set up a bloke for a 'blind date' with a secret admirer on air, and it turned out to be his gay neighbour. After the show the guy shot and killed the buggerer. Anyway, its interesting the way its stage managed. I didn't realize they actually have fist fights on air!

I see you'd met up with an expert in conspiracy theories. Do the theorists you meet see 'both sides' of the 'right / left' and 'conservative / subversive' divide as typically managed oppositions, or do they see it as a genuine contest? Do they really think what they say they think?

I've got a more religious question for you though. I see in your blog that the Theosophical society HQ had a labrynth. Do you know the origins of Labrynth's? The reason I ask is that the Catholic church has them, and now some mega churches are puting them in as well. What do Theosophists use them for, and where do they think they came from?

Hope your trip keeps going well,
From Mike

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, That was Jenny Jones rather than the Jerry Springer show...where the buggerer shot the other buggar.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darryl,
I am enjoying reading about your travels, you are seeing such a vast array of scenery & sights, as you drive across America. Tonight I have (at last) started to follow you on my USA map, what a wonderful experience for you. It was great that you were able to catch up with Emma & John and to spend time with them. Keep updating your Blogg, although I realise it is time consuming for you, but much more interesting for us at home than a bunch of post cards. Take care.
Enjoy....
From: Aunty Elaine.
Friday 3rd Nov.

Anonymous said...

Gidday Mike

Labyrynths are used in alot of cultures & spiritual traditions - mainly it's a form of meditation ... I'll send you something on the Theosophical society's one if you want.

I think the guy I met who's knows a bit about conspiracy theories is clued up enough to see beyond the left / right thing ...unlike someone else we know ...!