Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Lowland South ...3-4 November

Two of the places I definitely wanted to see were Charleston Sth Carolina & Savannah Georgia. I hoped that the salty marshlands, grand plantations and colonial mansions would give off a kind of Gone With the Wind mystique for me. I wasn't disappointed - once you got in past the usual road services areas of the periphy that is. (It's like that for most American towns that I've seen).
It was back to tee shirt weather (most of the time) and Charleston being a college town insured that there were a few noisy bars in the historic heart to patronise. The moss hanging off the tree lined streets was just as I imagined.
It was a bit cold for a swim at the beach on Tybee island out from Savannah, but at least I got to see the coast. Didn't get to see any alligators tho. I could have spent alot longer in Savannah, but time is marching on ...


No comments: