Thursday, November 09, 2006

6th Nov - Memphis

The lady at the motel last night told me that Graceland would 'move me emotionally.' "It's really just as if He's still there," she said solemnly.

It was a grey day, which didn't help with the run-down look that Memphis was giving off ... also the sign-posts are not that great, so by the time I found Graceland it was getting dark. It didn't really want to go in, just check it out from the outside. There wasn't many people around (apart from the thousands of cars speeding along Elvis Presley Boulevard) and the fence was quite high. But there it was; a big house on a hill surrounded by trees and illuminated by many coloured lights ... the Heartbreak Motel was across the road and a host of other Elvis related type stuf lined the road. An aeroplane named after Priscilla (spelling?) is housed by the large car park.

Sorry Elvis fans ... I wasn't moved. It was getting late & it was time to move on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Darryl so sorry you didnt go in so you could tell me all about it.Hope you got a photo standing outside.
Love Mum

Anonymous said...

Mrs Crofskey

My mother and I went into the Graceland house when I was in Memphis and I thought it was amazing, and I agree - it is like Elvis is still there. You can just imagine him in every room in the house doing what Elvis did - be it deep fried peanut butter sandwiches, or just playing the blues.

It really is very moving, and shame on you Darryl for not visiting The King.

He is always worth the effort.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow, the depth of feeling towards the King is (bizzarely) high. I didn't realize ...

I have no photo outside Graceland (of me) I think. Too bad.

Darryl