Thursday, October 26, 2006

Niagra, NY State & a slight mishap ...

Arriving pretty late in the night, I was lucky to phone the Buffalo Hostel International & get a room. The New England Patriots were in town, so that meaned there was a fair bit of activity at the bars.

The weather was fairly grim (grey skies & constant drizzle - they'd just had a 4 day blackout due to a storm which had uproooted trees & scattered debris all over), so my stay at the falls was shortened somewhat. Nevertheless, they were still an awesome sight and I would have got wet from all the mist they produce anyway.

Leaving Buffalo in the afternoon, I floored it as much as I could across New York State to get to the Syracuse Hostel - which amounted to a bizzare night almost alone in a seemingly haunted old mansion...

An early start on the 24th Oct saw me finally come unstuck via my miscalculations involving the tempremental fuel guage on my van... I managed to coast to the exit on the interstate ...where I climbed over the barrier & walked the few hundred yards to a BP station ... the NY State Trooper who pulled up behind my van on the side of the busy interstate informed me that you're not supposed to do that, but "more power to me". (?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel Darryl.

At least you didn't have some pillock filming the entire unfortunate incident!

It's a long grim walk back to your car!