Monday, October 09, 2006

Americana & the Mid West ...4-6 Oct






Eventually, I got back on the i90 after Rushmore. I had to boot it as far East as I could. It was Wednesday & a made a committment to get to the Theosophical Society in America, in Wheaton Illinois (http://www.theosophical.org/ if you want info), where I am staying currently by 5pm Friday.

I had a late lunch at the Wall Drug Store, South Dakota. I couldn't help but check this place out as the billboards along the i90 had been telling me to for what seemed like 100 miles. It turned out to be an eccentric mix of cafe, drug store, western museum and tacky tourist trap. I availed myself of their free ice water, and the burger was pretty good. The adverts for this place have taken on a similar cult status to what New Zealanders know as the Bring Back Buck campaigne, with Wall Drug signs being displayed in unlikely places such as the side of London buses and in the military bases of Iraq (perhaps not so unlikelly there).

That night I crashed at a cheap motel in a place called Kennebec, middle of nowhere.


The next day - a classic piece of Americana awaited me in Mitchell Sth Dakota - The Corn Palace is the town's civic center, hall, concert venue, basketball court, & is redecorated every year with around 275,000 ears of corn. A true masterpiece of building decoration, which has been in the town since the late 1800's.

I ended up being pretty sick of driving by the time I got to a place called St Charles Minnesota late that night. I'm sure the Mid West has plenty to offer, but I had to get from A to B and that was the longest straight line I had ever driven. (I hit the 3,000 mile mark in my van somewhere in Mimmesota too).

PS - the state of the interstate in Sth Dakota & Minnesota is APPALLING. I hope my van's shocks recover.

No comments: