Thursday, September 21, 2006

Yosemite - 18-19 Sept




Holy sh*t it was cold last night! The air in the air bed must have been dry-ice or something. Managed to sleep after a while ( was in bed by 8 as had nothin to do once it got dark!). Had a slight disagreement with a bloke who turned up to his camping spot once he returned from being lost. I chose to ignore his little tent in the far corner of the area. Was OK in the end - I just moved the van a bit, because the plonker wanted to light a fire (close to my parking spot). He was gone when I awoke.

Cruise down into the Yosemite Valley for brekky & to check the place out. The rangers had roped off an area right by the visitor center - because a bear had climbed one of the trees - right to the most extreme, thin branches - & was chewing on acorns! Hiked to the top of Verna falls - a bit of a climb up hundreds of granite steps. Spectacular views - the sheers walls of rock amongst the trees is something pretty unique.



Drove out of the valley & camped again that night - at an elavation close to 8,500 feet. But I was more prepared for the cold this time + I had seen the videos in the visitor centre showing how beers frequently rip car doors open like a can opener if they can smell food inside! This was a bear area so I made sure I had everything smelly in the bear locker. Was alot of scratching type of noises around the van for a large part of the night (so it seemed). I couldn't see out so well, so at one stage I blasted the horn& flashed my headlights. It seemed to make the noises stop. There weren't alot of other people at the site. (apart from a guy sitting up late watching TV outside his tent). $10 was all they charged for this camp-place - you leave it in a box at the entrance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would've been good to get that Man G out of the van for a night!

Anonymous said...

Probably put it in the bear locker along with all the other smelly things. Don't want a bear up your bum. However I hear they are good for when you run out of toilet paper.